Dictionary of Engineering
Derived from the content of the respected McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Sixth Edition, each title provides thousands of definitions of words and phrases encountered in a specific discipline. All include:
* Pronunciation guide for every term
* Acronyms, cross-references, and abbreviations
* Appendices with conversion tables; listings of scientific, technical, and mathematical notation; tables of relevant data; and more
* A convenient, quick-find format
Table of contents
How to Use the Dictionary
Fields and Their Scope
Compiled by The Editorial Staff of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology (New York City), one of the most skilled, experienced, and innovative teams in the field of scientific publishing.
Back cover copy
Derived from the world-renowned McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, Sixth Edition, [roman] this vital reference offers a wealth of essential information in a portable, convenient, quick-find format. Whether you’re a professional, a student, a writer, or a general reader with an interest in science, there is no better or more authoritative way to stay up-to-speed with the current language of the various branches of engineering or gain an understanding of their key ideas and concepts.
Written in clear, simple language understandable to the general reader, yet in-depth enough for scientists, educators, and advanced students, The McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Engineering, Second Edition:
* Has been extensively revised, with 17,500 entries encompassing the language of engineering
* Includes synonyms, acronyms, and abbreviations
* Provides pronunciations for all terms
* Covers such topics as building construction, chemical engineering, civil engineering, control systems, design engineering, engineering acoustics, industrial engineering, information technology and computing, mechanical engineering, systems engineering, telecommunications, and thermodynamics
* Includes an appendix containing tables of useful data and information
* Is based on the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms – for more than a quarter-of-a-century THE standard international reference
Carefully reviewed for clarity, completeness, and accuracy, the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Engineering, Second Edition, offers a standard of excellence unmatched by any similar publication.