Weiten's "Psychology: Themes and Variations, 8/e International Edition" maintains this book's strengths while addressing market changes with new learning objectives, a complete updating, and a fresh new design. The text continues to provide a unique survey of psychology that meets three goals: to demonstrate the unity and diversity of psychology's subject matter, to illuminate the research process and its link to application, and to make the text challenging and thought-provoking yet easy from which to learn. Weiten accomplishes the successful balance of scientific rigor and a student-friendly approach through the integration of seven unifying themes, an unparalleled didactic art program, real-life examples, and a streamlined set of learning aids that help students see beyond research to big-picture concepts. Major topics typically covered in today's courses are included, such as evolutionary psychology, neuropsychology, biological psychology, positive psychology, applied psychology, careers, and multiculturalism and diversity.
Table of contents :
- 1. The Evolution of Psychology.
- 2. The Research Enterprise in Psychology.
- 3. The Biological Bases of Behavior.
- 4. Sensation and Perception.
- 5. Variations in Consciousness.
- 6. Learning.
- 7. Human Memory.
- 8. Language and Thought.
- 9. Intelligence and Psychological Testing.
- 10. Motivation and Emotion.
- 11. Human Development Across the Life Span.
- 12. Personality: Theory, Research, and Assessment.
- 13. Stress, Coping, and Health.
- 14. Psychological Disorders.
- 15. Treatment of Psychological Disorders.
- 16. Social Behavior.
Appendix A: Answers to Concept Checks.
Appendix B: Statistical Methods.
Appendix C: Industrial/Organizational Psychology.
Appendix D: Careers in Psychology.
Appendix E: Critical Thinking About Internet Research Sources
Glossary. References. Name Index. Subject Index.